You may paddle against the powerful currents in the Sea of Madness, but you will never again touch solid ground unless you get out of the boat. (an old proverb I just made up)

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Madness

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.
Holidays, when we were growing up, always ended the same way; with my mother sulking, yelling, or crying about how much we did not love her. It was like watching Groundhog Day only each of us four kids was Bill Murray witnessing the same manic depressive day over and over. Easter and Christmas were tense enough but Mother’s Day? That was the single most dreaded day of the year because nothing we did could prevent our mother’s tormented scene about what wretched kids we were.

And, we believed her.

Mother’s Day is the holy of holies for Moms; the day kids stop and make sure their mothers know they are loved and appreciated. For us, it was the day we always committed the ultimate affront to motherhood with our crude homemade gifts, sub-standard breakfasts in bed, lame handpicked flowers, and puny shows of affection. It did not  “come from your heart” was her angry complaint when she rejected our gifts. Year after year, we tried to come up with a new way to prove our love for our mother on this sacred day and year after year we got slammed doors, artwork in the trash, and home baked treats that went uneaten.

I know, right. That's cold.

In our teen years, my siblings and I started buying gifts with what little money we managed to earn babysitting or mowing lawns or selling lemonade. We graduated to stealing money and shoplifting  necklaces for her but they still “did not come from your heart”.

Eventually, all gifts sat unopened.

It was a Mother’s Day that made me decide to move away from home my senior year in high school. Mom had already kicked one brother and one sister out of the house. There was nobody left but me and my second grade little sister. I managed to save some money and borrow the rest from my ex-stepfather who took me shopping to buy my mother a pair of jeans and blouse for Mother’s Day but it resulted in her beating me on the head with the box and screaming that it didn’t come from my heart. The next morning, she had another tantrum, slapped me, pulled my hair, and accused me of plotting against her. Unable to cope with the madness any more, I left to live with a friend. After graduation, I went to San Antonio to visit family including the sister my mother had kicked out earlier in the year and surprise! She was wearing the jeans and shirt I had bought my Mom for Mother’s Day. My mother had mailed them to her as a birthday gift.

Uh. Huh. I know. Colder than the trash, even! But that became a pattern with Mom. Re-gifting our gifts to our siblings. Over the years, we started asking each other what to buy Mom since we knew she would give it to one us anyway.

Fast forward to today: Mother’s Day, 2014

We, the grown-up kids, are now petitioning the court for guardianship of our mother. Such is the severity of her mental illness and dementia. There have been years when we thought our mother had outgrown some of the paranoia, narcissism, and  erratic behavior of her early age. We have had some good times. We have had some not so good. We have had some awful. Now that she is 69 years old, time has eroded her filtering system and vascular dementia has set in. We’re seeing a lot of the same behavior we saw when we were teenagers and it’s Groundhog Day again.

But, not always.

My sisters and I went to see Mom today at the assisted living center and took one of her granddaughters. We brought her flowers and cupcakes for Mother’s Day. She was thrilled! She actually loved her Mother’s Day cupcakes and even ate three of them! Can you believe it? She had to get dementia to appreciate the thought behind a simple gesture. And who could blame her? The flowers were gorgeous and when we shared her cupcakes with the other senior adults, they remarked on how fortunate Mom was to have kids that come see her so often. This made Mom feel a little bit important. All in all, not such a bad Mother’s Day.

Until, it was time for us to leave and she said she hates the place and the food and the people and wants her cat and wants her own stuff and wants her own house and how she loves her cat more than her daughters . . .
Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

No comments:

Post a Comment